Advent Worship Series – “Sacred”
Amidst the hurry and busy-ness of the Christmas season, the line between the sacred and secular is sometimes quite blurred. The word “sacred” points to something dedicated as “holy” and “set apart.” We invite you to set apart time to join us at 10:30 on Sunday mornings during Advent, starting Dec. 3, for a spiritual journey of seeing the possibility of the holy in all things. What could your Christmas season experience be like if you slowed down and lived it looking through the framework of the sacred?
December 3 – “Sacred Time”
- Romans 13:11-14 and Matthew 3:1-12
- Holy Communion
- Special Music by The Band, Choir, Vocal Choir
December 10 – “Sacred People”
- Isaiah 2:1-5 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Special Music by The Bell Choir
December 17 – “Sacred Space”
- Isaiah 35:1-10 and Luke 1:39-56
- Children’s Christmas Program
- Special Music by the Tone Chimes, Rainbow Bells, and Harpist, Diane Michaels
December 24 – 10:30am—“Sacred Being”
- Titus 3:4-7, Luke 1:26-38, Luke 2:1-7
- This will be a quiet, meditative service with music, Holy Communion and time and space to just “be” (no sermon).
- Special Music by Jim Cotter and Samuel Cotter
December 24 – 4:00pm—“Sacred Knowing”
- Isaiah 52:7-10, Luke 2:1-20
- Interactive Candlelight Christmas Service for all ages (with a flameless candle option for smaller children).
- Special Music will be offered by “Ring and Sing” Hand Bell Choir (composed of members of the congregation).
December 24 – 7:00pm—“Sacred Knowing”
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service
- Special Music by Ellie Kennedy. Rex Flygt and John Ellington, and Vocal Choir.
December 31 – “Receiving Adoption” Galatians 4:4-7—The worship leader/preacher will be Rev. Bill Dow, a friend and occasional worshipper at First UMC Baraboo. Bill is a retired licensed local pastor who served the Wisconsin Conference for 13 years. He completed his five-year course of study at St. Paul School of Theology in Kansas City, MO. His previous work was in manufacturing and industrial education. Bill is married to Ruby who currently serves as Wisconsin Conference vice-president of the United Methodist Women. They live in a log home by the Wisconsin River that has been under construction for about 24 years now.
January 7 – “Sacred Doing”
- Conclusion of Advent series on “Sacred”
|Date||Liturgist||Church Opener(s)||Greeter(s)||Usher(s)||AV Booth|
|12/3/2017||Laurie Willhouse||Alice Schellenberger||Rajean Bender||Crawfords||Alice Schellenberger|
|12/10/2017||Judy Ellington||Mondy Shogren||Jean Krueger||Jerry Jackson & Tim O’Keefe|
|12/17/2017||Youth||Jim Cotter||Youth||Youth||Jim Cotter|
|12/24/2017 10:30am||Alice Schellenberger||Judy Ellington||Gladys Orton||Shrakes||Jerry Jackson|
|12/24/2017 4pm||Rajean Bender||Bryan Philipp||Mike Pullen|
|12/24/2017 7pm||Wendy Schneider||Alice Schellenberger||Mondy Shogren||O’Keefe||Alice Schellenberger|
|12/31/2017||Charlene Flygt||Judy Ellington||Molly Stewart||Ortons||Mike Pullen|