Warming Shelter Meal Donation Signup
The Warming Shelter is now open for those needing a warm place to sleep this winter. It is housed at Hope Through Christ Church on Parkway (across from Dr. Beckett’s Veterinary clinic). FUMC will continue to provide meals for the shelter the 2nd and 4th Mondays through the winter. This consists of an evening meal, breakfast and sandwich fixings for people to take for lunch. Currently there are 2 families and 5 single men at the shelter and as the weather gets colder will likely increase to their capacity of 20 people. If you are interested in helping and are not already on the list to receive menus please contact Judy Ellington at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 356-5495. Signup sheets are in Singer Fellowship Hall as well. Food may be brought to FUMC the Sunday before or that Monday and Judy will take it to the shelter or you may take it directly there between 6 – 6:30pm.
Nursery Care Workers Needed
- Nursery care volunteers are needed on November 30th from 9 – 10am during the adult Confirmation class. If you are able to help, please let Pastor Marianne or Yulia Yankovskaya know. Thanks so much.
- Child Care workers are also needed Dec. 21st (10:00 a.m. to noon) and December 24th (6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.). One adult and one youth (age 14-18) or two adults needed for each day. The pay is $25 for the two hours. Recommendations needed, and adults will be screened before they are hired (they must agree to a criminal background check). If you know friends or neighbors who could help the church in this way, please have them contact Pastor Marianne at Marianne@wisconsinumc.org or call 608-843-9641.
The Giving Tree – now until November 30th
Once again we have the opportunity to help families in our community have a bright Christmas. If you are able, please take one (or more) tags from the tree and purchase the item(s) requested. Please return the items unwrapped-with the tag(s) attached-to the tree no later than November 30th. If you would like to help but are unable to shop…monetary contributions are welcome, and the Giving Tree folks will do the shopping for you! Please contact Brenda Schick 963-5201 with any questions. Thank you for your continued generous support of this wonderful program!!
Centering Prayer – starting November 24th at 6:00pm
The Centering Prayer group will meet the 2nd and 4th Monday at 6pm in the Sanctuary. All are welcome to join us for a time of contemplative prayer. You do not need to attend an introductory workshop to come to the group. Meetings last an hour and instruction is given for those who are new to the group. Questions? Please contact Pastor Marianne.
Hanging of the Greens & Potluck – Sunday, November 30th at 5:00pm
Potluck dinner will start at 5pm followed by decorating the church, a craft for young children led by Brenda Schick, and concluding with a short service with Christmas carol singing. A potluck signup sheet is available in the Fellowship Hall. All are welcome to this intergenerational event!
Imagine No Malaria (Youth Fundraiser) – December 7th at 11:30am
The Youth will be sponsoring a reception after worship on December 7th to help raise funds for the ‘Imagine No Malaria’ initiative. You will be able to purchase holiday ornaments, made by the youth, and donate $10 towards a mosquito net. For each net purchased, a light will be lit on the Christmas Tree.
Lessons & Carols Service – December 7th at 7:00pm
St. Joe’s church is sponsoring an ecumenical service of Biblical readings interspersed by musical selections by their choir. The readings are pertinent to the Advent season and are read by individuals from various churches. It is a lovely way to begin the season. The service begins at 7pm. A time to visit over coffee and snacks is offered after the service.
VIM Trips (Work/Camp Trips)
Below is a list of work camp trips through the UM Wisconsin Annual Conference. The deadline is approaching quickly for the first trip (Dec. 1). The site is in a WARM part of Florida! When we come to help those struggling with life issues it is like a breath of fresh air! Further details can be found on the website www.wisvim.org.
- January 12-24, 2015 – Pahokee, Florida – $635 – Storm Damage Repair/Low Income Residents’ Repairs
- February 14 – 22, 2015 – Navasota, Texas – $460 – Poverty Assistance (home repairs and updates)
- March 14 – 22, 2015 – Lineville, Alabama – $460 – Servants in Faith and Technology (SIFAT) (build a ranch home from the foundation)
- April 11 – 19, 2015 – Plymouth, North Carolina – $460 – Poverty Assistance (home repairs and updates)
- May 10 – 15, 2015 – Westfield, Wisconsin – $150 – Camp Preparations and Repairs (installing piers/docks, spring cleaning, repairs, etc.)
- May 16, 2015 – Platteville, Wisconsin – $40 – Chain Saw Training (anyone using a chain saw must have certified training)